Donor Advised Fund
A donor advised fund, which is like a charitable savings account, gives you the flexibility to recommend how much and how often money is granted to Hospital for Special Care and other charities.
You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You can then recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted. In addition, you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
In return, you qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This also allows for a centralized giving and record-keeping system in one location.
Gustin Fund Brings Hope
Marie Gustin, PhD, a distinguished educator and psychologist, established a donor advised fund as a tribute to her parents, Susie and Charles Gustin. Managed by her local community foundation, The Susie and Charles Gustin Fund donates to Hospital for Special Care, Hospital of Central Connecticut, the New Britain Museum of American Art, and other charities that are important to Dr. Gustin.
In addition to receiving a federal income tax charitable deduction for the amount given to create The Gustin Fund, Dr. Gustin has benefited from the professional assistance of her community foundation. She has all the time she needs to decide which charities to support, honoring her parents' generous spirit.
"My parents were the sunshine in my life," she says. "Hopefully, through the grants we've made through the community foundation, we can bring rays of hope to other people."
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the organization's policies and procedures-from minimum contributions to administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- Contact our team to discuss using donor advised funds to support HSC and our mission.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include HSC in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Hospital for Special Care Foundation, Inc.
Address: 2150 Corbin Avenue, New Britain, CT 06053
Federal Tax ID Number: 06-1534092